Saturday, May 30, 2020

The drive out from Semuc Champey, Guatemala.

I visited Semuc Champey before I had ever heard of COVID-19, but it wasn't long after my visit to this remote jungle paradise that further travel halted on the shores of Lago Atitlán.  I wrote about my visit to this magical place in a previous blog post here.

The intensity of the drive in to Semuc Champey was a complete surprise to me.  I really hadn't researched the access at all before heading in.  It took MUCH longer than I anticipated.  The roads were very narrow, very steep in places, and overall was much more remote than I expected.  I guess all the things I like!

This unedited video is a time-lapse of my exit from Semuc Champey.  It may be boring for most to watch, but gives an idea of the area and access.  It's hard to tell how steep some places are, but wherever you see parallel concrete strips it's either steep up or down. I was in 4wd the way out as it had been raining most of the night before and would have been too slippery in 2wd.

Enjoy ...

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete