Monday, March 30, 2020

Home Sweet (temporary) Home!

Today marks 2 weeks at my new COVID-19 home here on the shores of Lago Atitlan in Guatemala.  Me and my new family members are settling into life here.  We are both both sad to have lost but happy for those that have left us to be in there real homes around the world.  I imagine in another week or so we will be at our final count of those that will ride this out for the long haul.  I have, from time to time, considered if I should try to drive home but always come to the same conclusion that I am very safe here in a nice environment surrounded by great people and to leave this place and try to make my way through Guatemala and particularly Mexico in these times may be risky.  Sooo, here I will stay for an undetermined amount of time.  The Guatemalan government has extended border closures and curfews until at least April 12th.  My hunch is it will be extended again but time will tell.

So in the meantime, life goes on here!  Here's a sampling of my now current life here.

Food delivery!







Movie nights.


Group meals & parties.




Late night piñata construction and the joy of kids breaking it open.


Great people!






Laundry days (no es divertido)...


Scenery and fun photos




Flora and Fauna













Sauna (wood fired) night at the lake.


A short video tour of my new surroundings.


Until next time, stay safe and let's get through this little world blip so we can get back to whatever it is we all want to get back to.

2 comments:

  1. Well being locked down is never what us travelers want to happen, but this looks like a great place to be with a capable group of people.
    I still do not get out very far on 440mhz.
    I only have 50 watts and a 9dbi gain Omni antenna. I will watch for band openings and let you know. Stay up beat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I am! I still haven't put my antenna back on and turned on the radio. Maybe that can be a goal tomorrow! I'm not really expecting to hit you with the radio unless you are on the other side of Lake Atitlan.

      Delete