Thursday, February 27, 2020

And that’s a wrap for Mexico!



Mexico .... No bad people, but lots of kindness. Never felt threatened once (not even when I was awakened in the middle of the night out of a dead sleep on a secluded beach by the Marines knocking on my door – they were just checking on me).  I thought for sure I was about to have my first corrupt cop experience when they passed me, waited ahead for me and walked out in the middle of the road to stop me, but no, just smiles, where are you going, where are you from, nice van, have a good day!

As mentioned before, I realized a while ago that I need to lay down some kilometers if I’m to be at the airport in Costa Rica to pick up Joan and our friends so the Yucatan Peninsula didn’t really get the time it deserved.  It was interesting to me though!



First off, people drive, dare I say, very cautiously down here.  These are not the crazy Mexican drivers of further north or on the Baja.  It’s actually frustrating that they will not pass a car unless it is clear for a VERY LONG WAY.  Just a strange contrast to the rest of Mexico.

The interior of the Yucatan is much more arid than I expected.  The perimeter is rather tropical.  I set off with sights on a particular cenote (Cenote Kankirixché).  Not sure how this one ended up as a target especially when there are so many around.  I pulled in around 4:00 with a plan to sleep there (iOverlander gave it good reviews to spend the night).  60 pesos to enter and 60 pesos to spend the night.  This was one of my favorite overnight spots.  Not because the scenery around the van was particularly good but having such a beautiful cenote all to myself was spectacular.  All the “tourists” bugged out by around 6PM then it was just me.  Once the sun was all the way down, I went back to the cave (I had been swimming earlier) and what a difference in the dark without anyone else.  Bats were flying around and what look like catfish swimming around in the water.  I had intensions of swimming at night, but I’ll admit that I was a little freaked out swimming in a bat filled cave by myself at night, so I just took a lot of photos.  Using my big flashlight I was able to get some spectacular reflection shots off the clear calm water.  After a great night’s sleep, I took a morning swim by myself and hit the road.

The secondary roads were all just over a single lane and a bit overgrown, but smooth!


Camp spot at the cenote.

Cenote entrance.



Incredible reflections.




My target for mid-morning was the ruins of Chickén Ítzu.  I figured I’d spend an hour or two walking around then move on.  After paying to park and walking to the entrance, I found an extremely long line just to get tickets.  I’m guessing the line alone would be an hour or more.  Way too many people for my liking.  It occurred to me that I’m within day excursion distance of Cancun.  So, I hit an ATM and got out of town heading to Tulum which has ruins on the coast.  As I approached Tulum the crowds were insane.  I realized that this isn’t where I wanted to hang out either so headed to a camp spot that again had good comments on iOverlander.  To get to the entrance to the Sian Ka’an biosphere reserve was what seemed like endless narrow road full of tourists walking, on bikes or in cars.  




Some of the little towns I passed through were very cool though.


I finally wound my way to the pair of coconut trees on the coast I was looking for.  Set up camp, went for a swim and took a nap in the hammock.  Not a bad way to wrap up a day of missed sights and a lot of driving.  Once it got dark some distant light glows appeared.  The brightest was “Las Vegas of the Yucatan” – Cancun.  There were some more faint ones way on the horizon though.  Some searching on a couple mapping programs brought me to realize it was Cuba and in particular, Havana.  Pretty cool.  I had no idea I was that close to Cuba.







Next morning, I made a decision to head out.  The water was fairly rough to be swimming in and, although I crop it out of the photos, there was too much trash that just took away from the natural beauty.  Just like Baja, I’m disgusted with the amount of mostly plastic trash on the beaches.  I pick some up, but it really doesn’t make a difference I hate to say.

On the way back out of the reserve, I stopped at a good place to put the paddle board in to cruise around the mangroves.  It was good to use it as it hasn’t been in the water since Baja.  Came across a pair of osprey that were pretty cool and generally just paddled around for a while.




I then set off to Lake Bacalar at the recommendation of a guy I talked to at the cenote.  Again, iOverlander took me to a campground on the lake that people seemed to like.  It was beautiful.  Camped with the water just feet away from the door of the van.  Went for a swim, met a nice couple from Austria and one from Quebec and called it a day. 




I had every intention of going to Belize in the morning, but instead, took the paddle board off the roof and went for a couple paddles around the lake shore, swam, talked with new friends and before I knew it, I was staying another day.  Just so I felt justified in not moving today, I rotated the tires on the van.  Then swam more, paddled more, talked more.  It was a beautiful day at the lake!  Lightning moved in then a good rain all night.  I’m happy to say that my rather primitive looking re-fiberglassed roof kept the water out!




Morning broke, another paddle along the shore, more talking with new friends and it was finally time to do my second border.  I have no pictures of the border or even a welcome to Belize sign (not sure I saw one).  It went pretty smooth.  Out of Mexico, cancelled my Temporary Import Permit (TIP) for the van, paid a second time for my visa since I could not produce a receipt that I already paid on the way into Mexico, then into Belize which was very easy.

Tonight, I am having a bit of luxury at Caves Branch Jungle Lodge where me and the family stayed in 2011.  They cut me a good deal and wouldn’t let me sleep in the van in the parking lot.  What else could I do?  Best meal I've had since leaving home!



Nothing much new in the "things I've learned" category.
- Yucatan drivers are cautious (annoyingly so)
- People are still friendly
- It's still hard to leave new friends!

Until next time ...

No comments:

Post a Comment